Pages

Friday, November 20, 2015

Social Media in Times of Tragedy

Red, white, and blue profile pictures are flooding Facebook, along with #prayforparis hashtags and heartfelt comments. You literally can't scroll for more than 5 seconds without seeing something related to the terrible tragedies. The whole thing really is heartbreaking. But be that as it may, you will not see me sporting the now famous red, white, and blue profile picture. And you won't see me posting an Instagram photo of the Eiffel Tower. And you most certainly won't see me typing #prayforparis into a Tweet. Why? Because...what's the point? 
Unknown
Right now as you're reading this, you probably think I'm evil, insensitive, or just plain stupid. With certainty, I can tell you I'm none of those. I'm just realistic. 
I get that all of these things are nice gestures, and I really don't have a problem with any of the pictures or posts themselves. What I do have a problem with is when people slap a post up on social media and then go on with their day, pretending like they did some sort of good deed. Pretending like they made a difference in the world. In reality, what did you do? 
Nothing.
Yes, the hashtags and red, white, and blue pictures are great gestures, but what good is a gesture? I appreciate the sentiment, but instead of these trendy social media fads, we should be doing something. We should be donating money or putting together care packages for the loved ones of victims. 
The problem with this whole social media thing is that people think it's enough. People think, Oh, I posted a photo of the Eiffel Tower. I'm good. But no! That's not DOING anything. I mean, the truth of the matter is that most people used this opportunity as an excuse to post their very best pictures of the famous monument. People took the time to edit these pictures, and select the prettiest filters, and make sure it fit with their Instagram theme perfectly...while people were dying. I don't know. It just seems so dumb to me. Not one photo of the Eiffel Tower did I like, nor did I favorite any #prayforparis tweets. Because what's the point? There just isn't one to me.    
Screen Shot 2015-11-15 at 11.01.21 AM
I know you could argue with me and tell me that I'm dumb and insensitive and evil, but don't waste your breath. This isn't so much an opinion as it is a feeling. I can't help how I feel when I see all of this social media craze. And I do understand on some level that it's not all bad. A world coming together in a time of tragedy. That's great, but my point is that it's not enough. My point is that sadly, people think it is. And that's the problem right there. When Facebook puts up a huge DONATE TO PARIS page, and really does something that could make an impact, then come and talk to me. I'll listen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment