Pages

Friday, September 11, 2015

Desperate Housewives

Whenever most people think of bad TV, soap operas and scripted dramas are usually what pop into their minds. For whatever reason, watching comedies like Orange is the New Black and How I Met Your Mother is deemed cool, but God forbid you watch Days of Our Lives you're immediately thought of as a joke. While extremely exaggerated and dramatic soap operas aren't exactly my forte, one show that I just can't get enough of is Desperate Housewives

Set in a suburban neighborhood where every resident has large, beautiful houses and perfectly manicured lawns, the show follows around five above average-looking women who each have unique problems and situations. I guess you could say it's kind of typical (there's the wife who only married her husband for his money and the husband who has an affair with a prostitute), but I don't care. I am hooked. 

I hadn't watched the show since I was a freshman in high school, but as I was moving all of my things into college the other day, I needed a distraction to help pass the time. I logged onto my Hulu account and after scrolling for a minute or two, was surprised to see the name of my old favorite show. As I hesitantly clicked on the link that said Desperate Housewives: Season 1, Episode 1, I wasn't really sure what to expect. It had been years since I saw that show and my likes and dislikes have obviously changed. But as soon as the narrator began speaking and I was re-introduced to these familiar faces, a wave of nostalgia hit me. Nothing had changed. As I ripped through episode after episode, nothing could be clearer. 

Watching a show you have already seen is like eating a candy from your childhood. Maybe your grandma was the only one who bought it for you, or maybe it had been discontinued. Either way, you haven't had this candy in a very long time. When you first open the wrapper of that candy, you're unsure. Hmm. I know I liked it when I was 6, but I also liked to roll around in mud and put sand in my hair. Still, you take a bite. And it's like nothing has changed. It's like the years haven't passed you by and you're that same 6-year-old who lived for these candies. Well, that's exactly how it felt to watch Desperate Housewives after such a long hiatus. 

I was taken back to the days when I would snuggle up on my big, comfy couch with my mom where we would eat ice cream and enjoy 60 minutes of whatever drama the girls on Wisteria Lane were stirring up. For 60 minutes, I could forget about homework and chores and responsibilities. For 60 minutes, I could just relax

Watching Desperate Housewives now kind of puts me in a weird time warp. For the hour I'm watching this show, it's like absolutely nothing has changed. I'm still that girl in high school watching a show with her mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment