Pages

Friday, September 25, 2015

Rossi's Deli

    Rossi's. Where do I even begin? For those of you who aren't familiar (which, for the sake of your own well being, I hope that's not you), Rossi's is a deli located a couple miles away from Marist College. Now, considering there are not one, but TWO delis located directly across the street from Marist, you might wonder why in the world anyone would get in their car and travel all the way to a sandwich place. The simple answer is this: because it's Rossi's.

    I'm someone who's not too fussy about her food. I didn't grow up in an Italian family with divine meals that my grandmother spent all day cooking. Honestly, my mom would make pork chops and mashed potatoes every other night, and I would take about three bites and then shove a bag of cookies down my throat. It should also be noted that I'm not really a sandwich person. I'd choose a salad over a sandwich any day of the week. And to be honest, I could probably make a sandwich just as good as the ones made at Rossi's. (After all, I did work in a deli all summer.)
    So then why exactly am I obsessed with a sandwich place that requires me to get in my car and face the long, winding, bumpy roads of Poughkeepsie? Well, I guess it's because it's part of my culture. Rossi's isn't just a deli; it's a part of Marist.
   The morning after a fun, crazy night out, there's nothing better than gathering a bunch of friends and going to Rossi's. More likely than not you'll see about 10 people you know there, and more likely than not you'll wait on a 20 minute line. But once you get your delicious sandwich (mine includes grilled chicken, tomatoes, roasted red peppers, & balsamic), you and your friends can then go to a nearby park, or the Hudson river, or even back to someone's house, and continue recapping the night.
   Last Saturday, my friends and I decided to sit on the dock right on the Hudson River, and in that moment, I was so happy. There's something to be said about eating good food with good friends, and the whole Rossi's experience is just that.
    Personally, I don't think I would ever go to Rossi's by myself or eat anything from there alone. Yeah, the sandwiches are good, but that's not what brings me to 45 South Clover Street. What brings me is the experience; the tradition and culture that surround this famous delicatessen.

No comments:

Post a Comment