Pages

Friday, December 11, 2015

Football

I couldn't think of a better way to end my cultural consumption blog than with a post about football.
Last Sunday I watched one of the most exciting football games of all time: Jets vs. Giants. The Jets hadn't beaten the giants in a regular season game since Halloween of 1993 and honestly, I didn't have too high of expectations for my team. With many injuries, including Darrell Revis, and a rookie quarterback, it's hard to have faith in the Jets nowadays. 
All I'm really going to say about the game is that it was a real nail biter and  they won it in overtime. Really what I want to talk about is how the game made me feel (and how every football game makes me feel for that matter). 
I grew up a huge football fan. Football isn't just a program on TV or a sport to me; it's kind of like a way of life. Going to college, however, my Sundays have changed quite a bit. Growing up, Sundays were always a huge part of my week. I'd wake up, get lunch with my family, and then come home to enjoy the big game. We'd sit around the TV, talking, laughing, and most importantly, watching. 
Then I came to college. And my friends either (a) don't like football (b) don't even know what a football is or (c) don't like the NY Jets. 
So....I spend every Sunday now by myself, rooting on my team. I'm watching the same game, but it feels so different. It's an entirely new dynamic and it's weird how much that could change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment