Pages

Friday, December 4, 2015

Music

It’s the first of December and I’m not listening to Christmas music.
WHAT?
Lately I have not been able to listen to anything other than 3 songs that I recently discovered:
1. My House – Flo Rida
2. Bros – Wolf Alice
3. Break Up in a Small Town
They are just SO. GOOD. But what does that even mean? What does it mean for a song to be good? Honestly, at this point I feel like everyone’s opinions of music hold absolutely no value. Someone could tell me they recently discovered the best song in the world, but I’ll kind of just shrug it off. And I certainly won’t ask them to insert my aux chord into their phone. Why? Because time and time again I’ve heard “amazing” songs that are “the best of the best” that turned out to be absolute crap. To my ears at least.
Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about the music we listen to and what it says about who we are. To be honest, I kind of disregarded any connection between the two for a while.
I have friends who like every single type of music, I thought. Obviously it’s meaningless.
But then I thought some more and I feel like all of the qualities I don’t like in my friends can be represented by their music.
For instance, the one thing I don’t like about my friend, Sara, is that she can be too loud sometimes. And what do you know…she listens to extremely loud, overly manufactured, crazy music.
And then there’s my friend, Katie. She listens to music without words and by coincidence, it’s her lack of communication that bothers me the most about her.
And then I have a friend who listens to nothing but country music, but I’m not even going to get started on that one…
So I’ve been sitting in my bedroom listening to these 3 songs on repeat and it got me thinking. Our music tastes are almost like our DNA; unique and no two people have the same exact ones.
It’s a pretty weird concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment