Pages

Friday, October 9, 2015

City of Blinding Lights

   If you want a recommendation for a good song, don't come to me. Honestly, just don't. I am known for liking what everyone refers to as "bad music." Of course, I don't see the music as bad, but my friends always make fun of me for liking the worst songs. And then playing them over and over and over again. Let's just say my iPod isn't the one playing at parties...
   One of the bands that has been deemed "bad" amongst my friends is U2. A lot of people my age don't like them, but I just can't get enough. In particular, I've been listening to the song City of Blinding Lights on repeat for the past few days. I don't know what it is about the song, but it gives me a feeling of pure happiness whenever I listen to it.
   The intro is classic with a lot of guitars, piano, and various other instruments. It makes you feel so...inspired. Whenever I'm at a restaurant or out with friends and hear this super recognizable intro start to play, I can't help but smile.
   And then the words...I just absolutely love the words to this song. They don't come in until over a minute in, but I think that's what works for the song. It's this big anticipation of what will be said. I'm the type of person who typically needs to like the beat AND the lyrics to a song, and City of Blinding Lights has both an electrifying beat and powerful words.
   "Don't look before you laugh; Look ugly in a photograph."
   Those are two of my favorite song lyrics of all time. Why? I don't know. They're so simple, but so meaningful at the same time.
   This is one of those songs that can bring me to a place other than where I am at this present moment. It has memories behind it; stories. Ultimately, it's not just a song to me. It's so much more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment