Pages

Friday, October 30, 2015

The New York Mets Sensation

    The New York Mets made it to the 2015 World Series...and I couldn't care less. Right now you're probably astounded by this statement. Astounded and disgusted and utterly appalled. But walk outside and take a good look at the people who surround you. Do you see them? Well, with absolute certainty I can tell you that 80% of them agree with me. Whether or not they're willing to admit it is another story...
    Whenever a team makes it to the Championships, Super Bowl, or in this case, World Series, suddenly "fans" come out of the woodworks. Suddenly people who have probably never watched a game all season claim to be die-hard fans. Suddenly my Twitter feed is full of "Let's go Mets!" posts and my Instagram but an endless stream of blue and orange. But where were all of these fans when the Mets played their first game in April? Where were they then?
    I compare these people to the "Holiday Churchgoers" aka those who don't attend mass throughout the year, but suddenly become super religious on Christmas and Easter and go to mass. Honestly, what's the point? In today's society, it's like everyone is skipping the dinner and heading straight for the dessert. But doesn't that apple pie lose its sweetness without a nice, hearty meal before? Doesn't that chocolate cake lose its decadence?
    I just don't see the point in pretending to be something I'm not. The Mets are in the playoffs, and I am most certainly happy for them and proud to be from New York, but I'm not going to suddenly transform into a super fan. I'm not going to go out and buy a Steven Matz jersey. It kind of ruins it for the true Mets fans. They've devoted all their time to rooting for a team and suddenly everyone and their mother is kind of, in a way, taking the spotlight away from them. People are kind of taking away their moment.
   It always used to disgust me when I would see new faces at Christmas mass sitting in the front row, while elderly men and women who hadn't missed a Sunday were standing in the back. Likewise, there will be a million and one posers filling the stadium throughout the World Series while mets fans - true mets fans - sit at home watching from their TV's.

No comments:

Post a Comment